Thursday, February 22, 2018

You're Never Gonna Let Me Down?

You’re Never Gonna Let Me Down?

Our church recently added a new song to our worship music. There’s a lyric in the song that says, “You’re never gonna let, you’re never gonna let me down.” It’s a big part of the song and we sing it over and over and I’ve really wondered what people are thinking while we’re singing it. When we first introduced the song I had to put my own heart in check while singing that part. The truth is we really do feel like God lets us down sometimes if we’re honest enough to admit it. In our hearts and minds we say, “I thought I was going to get that promotion but instead I got laid off”. “I prayed and asked God to heal my family member but instead he got worse or even died”. “I started tithing and instead of my financial situation getting better it got way worse and waaaaay scarier”. “I thought my daughter was going to finally get off drugs and here she is in rehab…again. God I trusted you and you let me down”. But is this really true? What we don’t understand or fail to remember in those times is this:
1. God is good. He wants the best for us and dearly loves us more than we can imagine. He is a good father who gives good gifts (Matthew 7:11). He wants us to prosper and flourish even more that we do ourselves, but He does this according to HIS plan. 
2. God has an intricate master plan that our human minds can’t begin to comprehend. His ways are not our ways. Our thoughts are not His thoughts. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55:8-9) He’s much smarter than we are even though we think we have everything planned out and think we know what should happen. 
3. We are not here for ourselves but we are here for Him. As Christians we were bought with a price. We are His. We were created for His good works which He planned before we were in existence. (Ephesians 2:10) God has us on HIS path. His way is greater.
I recognize that sometimes knowing the truth doesn’t make us feel better when we find ourselves feeling let down. When we are disappointed and feel like God has let us down we need to choose to believe the truth even if our heart, mind, and feelings are failing us. We need to actively put our faith in the fact that He dearly loves us, wants the best for us, and has a better plan than we can imagine for ourselves. We simply have to trust Him because in reality He never has and will never let us down.

Doneda Bailey





No comments:

Post a Comment