Tuesday, August 1, 2017

What Does the Bible Say About Prayer?

Cannot believe August is here!  We hope your summer has been full of family, friends, and fun in the sun. Have you been following along with the “Summer in the Scriptures” series?  If not, it’s not too late to grab your Bible, your journal, and some sweet tea as we end out the summer studying prayer.

So, what does the Bible say about prayer?
I’m glad you asked!  For many, prayer can be intimidating or uncomfortable.  Maybe you don’t know what to say, how to pray, or even the purpose of prayer?  I’ve experienced all of those, so if you find yourself in this position, you are in good company.  I’ve learned through my journey with God that I often make things much more complicated than He ever intended them to be. 

In Matthew 18:2, Jesus exhorts the disciples to change and become like little children. One of the sweetest things on this side of heaven is hearing a child pray.  I love hearing my children pray at bedtime.  Even my two year old daughter the other night made her request known to the Lord, “Dear God, please let us go swimming tomorrow, and go to Makenna’s house. In Jesus name, Amen.”  We can learn so much from children and their simple faith.  Did you know The Lord loves hearing you, His child pray to Him, too?  He wants us to come to Him with a simple child-like faith. He’s not looking for anything fancy; He just bids you to come. 


I love this quote by Oswald Chambers, “Prayer is the way the life of God is nourished.” A healthy prayer life is vital for us as believers.  Let’s all together plan daily time this month to work through the scriptures by pressing pause on our busy summer schedules to pray.  I know He will meet us individually and collectively during our prayer time. 


Lynzee Bolton



No comments:

Post a Comment